Where to pick fresh fruit near Lexington?
VERSAILLES, Ky. (FOX 56) — It’s almost fresh fruit season in Kentucky. A farm in Versailles reopens on Friday and invites customers to pick seasonal produce.
Eckert’s Orchard, 1396 Pinckard Pike, announced in a press release that it plans to offer 20% off Friday through May 6, in honor of its seasonal opening.
Strawberry season is one of the first fruits of spring and Eckert plans to celebrate with its Strawberry Festival, May 14-15 and May 21-22.
According to Eckert, the festival will provide guests with live music, a petting zoo and homemade seasonal food. Once the strawberries are available, customers can visit Eckert’s Strawberry Fields to pick the fresh fruit Tuesday through Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. for $3 per person, children under 2 are free.
For more information about Eckert’s Pick-Your-Own or to make reservations, visit their website.
Eckert’s website offers fruit picking tips, “Pro tip. Pick early in the morning while the berries are still fresh. Store your strawberries in the refrigerator for up to three days.
U-pick opportunities will continue past strawberry season with blackberries in June, peaches from July through mid-August, and apples through mid-August.
Fresh fruit on your plate
If turning your handpicked produce into something special isn’t for you, then Eckert’s culinary partners in Lexington and Versailles might have something for you.
Eckert’s has partnered with several local restaurants to offer dishes with fresh Eckert produce throughout the 2022 pick-your-own season, starting with strawberries in early to mid-May.
“We always look forward to opening our doors for the season, and this year is extra special as we’ve partnered with local restaurants and their culinary teams to create limited-time dishes on their menus, using produce from pick-your-own. Call on our catering partners for desserts, teas, cocktails and more,” said Megan Fields, Manager of Eckert’s Orchard Farm.
Each of Eckert’s Orchard’s partner restaurants will create limited-time seasonal specials with Eckert’s pick-your-own in-season harvest. Eckert partners include:
- Missy’s Pie Shop (502 E High St, Lexington, KY 40502): Strawberry Season
- Whiskey Bear Neighborhood Bourbon Bar and Bottle Shop (262 N Limestone Lexington KY 40507): strawberries, blackberries, peaches and apples
- Doodle’s Breakfast and Lunch (262 N Limestone Lexington KY 40507): strawberries, blackberries, peaches and apples
- Spark Community Café (175 N. Main St., Versailles, KY 40383): strawberries, blackberries, peaches and apples
- Kentucky Castle (230 Pisgah Pike Versailles KY 40383): Strawberry, Blackberry, Peach, and Apple Seasons
- Dressing Salad Kitchen (1781 Sharkey Way Suite 115 Lexington KY 40511; 113 N. Broadway Lexington KY 40507; 2200 War Admiral Way Lexington KY 40509; 3735 Palomar Center Drive Suite 180 Lexington KY 40513): Strawberry, blackberry, and peach seasons
- Zim’s Café (215 W Main St UNIT 25, Lexington, KY 40507): strawberries, blackberries, peaches and apples
- Sutton’s Italian Restaurant (110 N. Locust Hill Dr. Lexington, KY 40509): strawberries, blackberries, peaches and apples
- Rolling Oven Taproom (140 Court Street Versailles, KY 40383): Strawberry, blackberry, peach and apple seasons
- Amsden Coffee Shop (151 S Main St, Versailles, KY 40383): Strawberry, blackberry and peach seasons
Suggest a fix